This University engaged Park Lane to support their SQL Server database environment and carry out a full review. This review identified a case of SQL Server Sprawl and legacy out of support software versions. From this review Park Lane recommended a combined consolidation and upgrade effort.
What was our solution:
- Consolidate SQL server databases onto a single managed platform
- Upgrade the databases to a base version of SQL Server 2017
- Enable Always-On High Availability and DR across the board for all SQL Server databases
Results / Business benefit:
The realized benefits of this consolidation project were:
- Reduction in support effort with greatly reduced VM and OS instance count
- Baseline supported software version, enabling patching and vendor support for unsupported instances
- Storage space savings associated with reduced OS and VM instances.
- Always-On High availability for all SQL Server databases. Much easier tracking of SQL server inventory. The consolidation also paves the way to future cloud uplift if that is desired path.
I have no hesitation in recommending Park Lane to any organisation who is looking to improve the way technology supports their strategy and business outcomes.
Thanks to the entire PL team for their support and truly working together as OneTeam.